The Senior Transmission Line Engineer will perform a substantive role in the detail design of 69-500kV transmission line projects, preparation of specifications, administration functions or field engineering related to assigned engineering projects under the supervision of the incumbent’s immediate supervisor or other designated professional engineer. The incumbent must be competent to operate various design software tools (PLS CADD, MFAD, LPile,) required for performing the design and engineering tasks associated with assignments. The incumbent must also possess an understanding of both basic and complexissues associated with developing construction documentation for the assigned project.
Essential Functions of Position
1. Design of engineered systems of the largest size and highest complexity. Activities shall
include, but not be limited to, the following:
a. Preliminary design and budgetary estimate.
b. Detailed design and estimates.
c. Equipment specification, proposal evaluation and requisitioning.
d. Engineering calculations to assure safety and performance of equipment and
e. Acquisition of on-site measurements and other data to accomplish the design or
to monitor and evaluate plant performance.
f. Coordinating equipment delivery and design engineering to meet construction
g. Checking completed job for adequacy of design and documentation.
h. PLS CADD, PLS Pole, PLS Tower etc
i. MFAD, L-Pile, preferred but not required
j. Foundation design experience
k. Experience with industry design codes and standards for electric utility design
l. Develop bill of materials
m. Develop structure framing details, to include all structure views, hardware,
grounding details and bill of material for various pole materials, ex. steel, wood
or concrete poles.
n. Create PLS CADD plan & profile drawings
o. Create a complete construction design package that incorporates all required details for
construction, ex, specific instructions, bill of material, structure list, staking table,
stringing charts, etc.
p. Engineering calculations to assure safety and performance of transmission facilities,
equipment and systems.
q. Support the QA/QC process for completed projects prior to customer submittal
r. Engineering calculations in compliance with safety, customer standards, and industry
2. Monitor the project construction activities to ensure compliance with plans and
specifications. Activities may include, but not be limited to, the following:
a. Act as Resident Engineer on projects of any magnitude.
b. Interpret complex plans and specifications and apply available information to
ensure that all project design requirements are satisfied.
c. Maintain familiarity with appropriate engineering and construction codes and
ensure compliance with all codes.
d. Prepare and/or monitor complex construction schedules to ensure timely
completion of the work.
e. Institute and direct changes to the work when required by differing site
f. Conduct on-site design or investigation work to ensure adequacy of contractors
g. Receive, evaluate, and approve contractor’s invoices.
h. Receive and inspect equipment to be installed on the project and approve for
3. Perform complex economic analyses of engineering alternatives.
4. Prepare reports and feasibility studies for submission to management.
5. Serve as project engineer or project manager on assigned projects.
6. Promote efficient flow of information and ensure complete and accurate record keeping.
7. Be familiar with the Client/Company’s drawing system and design and construction
standards as well as applicable industry codes and practices.
8. Shall keep informed of current developments in the area of responsibility.
9. May assist in the professional development, training, and evaluation of department
10. Perform other department duties as required.
11. Work independently based on general instructions, directions or objectives received from
Project Manager or Supervisor.
12. Provide direct supervision to staff designers, CADD technicians, and field personnel.
13. Must possess good technical and engineering design/planning skills, computer and
financial/project management skills.
14. Participates in marketing to clients and of projects and identifying new and maintaining
existing client relationships.
15. Prepare and review written reports that explain the purpose, methodology, data
requirements, recommendations and observations of power system engineering studies.
16. Ability to analyze results and develop conclusions on problems being studied.
17. Maintains a program of personal study to expand and improve technical and analytical
18. Keep supervision informed of status of all projects relative to pre-established
19. Ability to work independently and with others while maintaining a high level of initiative
20. Act as Resident Engineer on projects of any magnitude.
21. Interpret complex plans and specifications and apply available information to ensure that
all project design requirements are satisfied.
22. Maintain familiarity with appropriate engineering and construction codes and ensure
compliance with all codes.
23. Prepare and/or monitor complex construction schedules to ensure timely completion of the
24. Conduct on-site design or investigation work to ensure adequacy of contractor’s
1. Bachelor of Science in Engineering from an ABET accredited program or a Bachelor of
Science in Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful
completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
2. Professional Engineer’s license desired (State of Florida).
3. 8 - 10 years of experience in engineering of related projects.
4. Strong understanding and knowledge of industry and national codes and standards including
but not limited to NEC, Life Safety Code NFPA 101, NFPA 70/70E, IEEE and International
5. Experience with system design software, CADD and Microsoft Office products
required. Strong analytical and management skills
6. Willingness to travel for site surveys, project scope walks and meetings.