Perform a substantive role in the substation design, preparation of specifications or field engineering related to assigned engineering projects under the supervision of the incumbent’s immediate supervisor or other designated professional engineer. The incumbent must be
competent to operate various power system software tools required for performing the application of protection and control system engineering. The incumbent must also possess an understanding of both basic and complex power system calculation methodologies, terminologies, and
Essential Functions of Position
1. Design of engineered systems of the largest size and highest complexity. Activities shall
include, but not be limited to, the following:
a. Preliminary design and budgetary estimate.
b. Detailed design and estimates.
c. Equipment specification, proposal evaluation and requisitioning.
d. Engineering calculations to assure safety and performance of equipment and
e. Acquisition of on-site measurements and other data to accomplish the design or
to monitor and evaluate plant performance.
f. Coordinating equipment delivery and design engineering to meet construction
g. Checking completed job for adequacy of design and documentation.
2. Monitor the project construction activities to ensure compliance with plans and
specifications. Activities may include, but not be limited to, the following:
a. Act as Resident Engineer on projects of any magnitude.
b. Interpret complex plans and specifications and apply available information to
ensure that all project design requirements are satisfied.
c. Maintain familiarity with appropriate engineering and construction codes and
ensure compliance with all codes.
d. Prepare and/or monitor complex construction schedules to ensure timely
completion of the work.
e. Institute and direct changes to the work when required by differing site
f. Conduct on-site design or investigation work to ensure adequacy of contractor’s
g. Receive, evaluate, and approve contractor’s invoices.
h. Receive and inspect equipment to be installed on the project and approve for
3. Perform complex economic analyses of engineering alternatives.
4. Prepare reports and feasibility studies for submission to management.
5. Serve as project engineer or project manager on assigned projects.
6. Promote efficient flow of information and ensure complete and accurate record keeping.
7. Be familiar with the Client/Company’s drawing system and design and construction
standards as well as applicable industry codes and practices.
8. Shall keep informed of current developments in the area of responsibility.
9. May assist in the professional development, training, and evaluation of department
10. Perform other department duties as required.
11. Work independently based on general instructions, directions or objectives received from
Project Manager or Supervisor.
12. Provide direct supervision to staff designers, CADD technicians, and field personnel.
13. Must possess good technical and engineering design/planning skills, computer and
financial/project management skills.
14. Participates in marketing to clients and of projects and identifying new and maintaining
existing client relationships.
15. Prepare and review written reports that explain the purpose, methodology, data
requirements, recommendations and observations of power system engineering studies.
16. Ability to analyze results and develop conclusions on problems being studied.
17. Maintains a program of personal study to expand and improve technical and analytical
18. Keep supervision informed of status of all projects relative to pre-established
19. Ability to work independently and with others while maintaining a high level of initiative
20. Act as Resident Engineer on projects of any magnitude.
21. Interpret complex plans and specifications and apply available information to ensure that
all project design requirements are satisfied.
22. Maintain familiarity with appropriate engineering and construction codes and ensure
compliance with all codes.
23. Prepare and/or monitor complex construction schedules to ensure timely completion of the
24. Conduct on-site design or investigation work to ensure adequacy of contractor’s
25. Perform detailed design of one-line diagrams, elementary and wiring diagrams and
26. Provide direct supervision to staff designers.
27. Perform relay settings and configuration for various microprocessor relays.
28. Perform power system engineering studies and demonstrate a good working knowledge
of power planning, design and operation.
29. Participates in marketing to clients and of projects and identifying new and maintain
existing client relationships.
30. Able to interpret complex plans and specifications and apply available information to
ensure that all project design requirements are met.
31. Ability to develop proposals including scope of work that details the established goals
and objectives and clearly defines the deliverables and schedule of work to be performed.
32. Provide support for continued professional development of less experienced engineers in
team, including technical guidance
33. Participate in relevant professional bodies and industry groups
34. Able to design or apply various substation protection schemes under direction of
35. Performing or overseeing quality review of all facets of substation design.
36. Leading a team of single or multi-discipline professionals to ensure project success.
37. Training and mentoring less experienced engineers in their technical and professional
1. Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (Power Systems preferred) or in related field
from an accredited university.
2. Professional engineering license required
3. 8 - 10 years of experience in engineering of related projects.
4. Strong understanding and knowledge of industry and national codes and standards including
but not limited to NESC and NFPA 70 (NEC) and IEEE Standards.
5. Experience with system design software, CADD and Microsoft Office products required.
6. Strong analytical and management skills
7. Experience with relay settings and configuration.
8. Experience with power systems software packages such as Cape, Aspen Oneliner, SKM and
ETAP strongly desired.
9. Willingness to travel for site surveys, project scope walks and meetings.