Job Title: Electrical Technician
Reports to: Maintenance Leader
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The purpose of the Electrical Technician is assist in the installation and repair electrical systems, apparatus, and electrical and electronic components of industrial machinery and equipment. This role also provides maintenance repairs to industrial machinery as needed to keep a continuous manufacturing process supported. Uses man lifts, forklifts, hoists and all electrical testing equipment required. Must work safely and follow all documented and “common sense” safety policies and procedures.
This individual is expected to perform as a professional, highly skilled and exceptionally competent maintenance person. They must be able to analyze causes of breakdowns and carry out corrective measures.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Notify your supervisor immediately of any accident, near miss or on- the -job injury when it occurs no matter how insignificant it may seem.
- Take personal ownership to work safely each and every day and hold other team members to the same high standards of safety
- Basic industrial electrical code. (local compliance issues)
- Capability to read schematics and P&ID drawings
- Fusing, thermal overload protection, wire sizing, motor theory, etc.
- AC, DC and Servo drive system (basics)
- Be able to safely conduct motor control and power circuit troubleshooting. Understand fuse sizing, take motor amp readings, understand basic DC motor control, etc.
- Ability to fully troubleshoot drives-DC and AC variable frequency, and communicate technically with outside technical support when needed. Ability to fully understand and properly tune the various control loops in the plant including IM/APC systems and weight control equipment. Fully competent in electrical noise avoidance-grounding, shielding, etc. (at least 2 persons, each plant)
- Burner system understanding, troubleshooting and properly tuning (at least 2 persons, each plant)
- Basic Skills, pneumatics, hydraulics, mechanical gear
- Install and repair complex industrial equipment
- Helps to Maintains all Plant electrical and electronic sys.
- Assist in the development of PM and Predictive maintenance program for all motors and panels
- Diagnose malfunctioning apparatus such as transformers, motors, and lighting fixtures and replaces damaged or broken components.
- When appropriate or when plant decides lead efforts for electrical root cause analyzes
- Establish a program to monitor all critical motor in the plant.
- Tests malfunctioning machinery and discusses malfunction with other maintenance workers.
- Be lead person for electrical downtime and trouble shooting
- Replaces faulty electrical components of machine such as relays, switches, motors, and position sensing devices.
- Complies with good housekeeping practices on the job and insures work areas are clean and picked up after each job completion.
- Helps with electrical training of other maintenance personnel.
- Help coordinate electrical training program and efforts for the plant.
- Complies with safety requirements and notifies management of noted exceptions.
- Follows all environmental compliance polices & programs.
- Works as instructed with outside contractors.
- Be a lead person for all electrical projects and installation that are maintenance responsibility.
- Be maintenance contact person on automation projects.
- Willing to attend annual training for new or improved electrical & PLC sys.
- Comply with all plant rules
- Comply with safety regulations and maintain a clean and orderly work area
- All other duties as assigned or needed
- Regular Attendance on site and ability to rotate to varying shifts
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Basic Computer Skills
- Basic Blueprint & Schematic reading
- Basic Welding
- Able to think under pressure and make quick decisions
- Ability to work well in a team or alone
- Able to communicate in English
- Good attention to detail
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
The employee must be able to:
- Must be able to operate a computer or other keyboard instrument
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The employee should have the following:
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- High school or GED
- PLC Training
Preferably seven- (7) year’s experience in related maintenance trade or occupation that involved electrical and electronic components in a manufacturing environment. Must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Must have the ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Must be able to work independently with minimal direct supervision with drive toward accomplishment, and to produce high quality work.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Able to do repetitive hand, arm, leg movements for several hours
- Able to climb on and off of fork truck
- Ability to stand for 10 - 12 hours straight
- Able to climb and descend stairs for up to 12 hours continuously
- Lift and push and pull 50lbs. More than 100 times per day
- Must be able to squat, bend at the waist and knees freely
- Exposure to temperature extremes
- Exposure to sounds or noise levels that maybe uncomfortable
- Handle, control or feel objects, tools or control--continously
- Repetitive movements
It is a requirement to be a U.S. citizen OR have valid proof of authorization to work in the United States.